Thursday, January 26, 2006

be careful what you pray for

you just might get it! this happened to me, and when something came my way to help me the way i asked to be helped i fought it tooth and nail!
yesterday morning while praying i felt the need to confess my abuse of my computer time- it seems my computer is on all day. so i asked the Lord to help me to break this addiction, so that i can accomplish the things that i need to and spend time with my kids. amen. well, i told ash that i would help her with her crop and i did, but was having intermitent internet droppings throughout the 2 hours i was in the chatroom...soon after the crop was over i lost internet altogether. nothing i did made it come back. sometimes when this happens i could wiggle or jiggle a cord on the modem, or reset the whole thing to get back to the www. not this time. so i turned off my computer for the rest of the day. tried again at night- still nothing so i (hold onto your chairs ladies) went to bed early!!! and i must admit, my tired body needed that cause i think i might have been asleep before my head even touched the pillow! so that was good. this morning however was not so good. i could not get onto the internet for nothin! i sat here and tried everything i could and was starting to get mad!! now i'm starting to think it may be the cable company that has the problem. so i call up taina, my neighbor to see if her internet is working, and of course it is. i just had to laugh at that point because being upset about it was not going to get me anywhere. i had told her how i had just prayed for help in not spending so much time on the computer. but hey! i didn't mean i wanted to go cold turkey!! she teased me about fighting God's will, but isn't that the way of it? we pray and we ask for things but expect them on OUR terms. and then when things don't go the way WE think it should, we fight it. He gives us what we need in a way that HE knows is best for us- i.e with me, what other way am i going to not be on the computer unless i can't chat, blog, or surf the internet? He knows best!! this has certainly shown me that i really do need to cut back. i spend almost the entire day on the computer. i turn it on when i get up in the morning and every spare moment i have is spent on it. well, i recycled power again and got the internet back the latter part of this morning. and to day, like so many other days, it seems lately i only break away to help the kids with schoolwork, and to make breakfast and lunch. oh, it starts out with me just checking my emails. oh, that will only take about 5 mins, and then i'll do such and such(something that needs doing) well, those emails sometimes have links that take me away from the email site, then one thing leads to another...and i have been sitting at the computer for 2 hours! then i need to check in over at sbb. read over the forums and check the gallery to try to make a few comments...should only take about 20 mins...nope! another hour!! and then here's the killer and i don't know why i do this during the day at all, but i have to go down my blog list. i have a blog list so long that i have them all in my favorites in their own folder called blogs! oh wow! i just counted 78! isn't that ridiculously crazy? i don't comment on them all, but these are the ones i check daily! i'm embarrassed to even admit that! i DO need my internet taken away!! i really have a hard time managing my time on my computer, cause it's not bad enough that i am on it all day, but all night as well...something's gotta give. my time during the day should be for my kids and running our home. my computer time should start at night, but be off by a decent time. i think for me, midnight is good.
who wants to hold me accountable?

10 comments:

lynne said...

That's so funny what happened. I had a similar experience. I prayed that God give me more patience with my children. Then, wham, I'm hit with this horrible viral infection and I couldn't walk for weeks. Only then did I appreciate the time I had with my children, I actually sat down with them more and played with them more. As a result, I learned how I should appreciate what I have and be patient. Kind of a strange way for it to happen, but it did. Now I'm more careful for what I pray for, lol!

Margie said...

I totally understand what you are saying! When things like that happen to me I start to think of it as a trial rather than God answering my prayers and then get all upset about it! It's good that He lets us see these things huh :)

MirandaLea said...

I, too, am freakishly addicted to the computer! My list of tivo'ed shows just piles up (along with the housework lol) and I spend all my time online. Well, I figure someday I'll have kids and won't have nearly as much time to play on the computer, so I'm making up for it in advance. Isn't it great the way your mind works when you need an excuse for something? I almost made that sound like good logic. Almost...

Shannon Bieger said...

I am totally laughing at God's sense of humor. He was like "Alright honey, you asked for it!!" I still can't decide if the internet falls under the "every good and perfect gift is from above" category or if it falls under the "do not give satan a foothold" category. It is incredibly hard to be disciplined with it because it's not unhealthy when we think of it in terms as the way we maintain relationships with friends and family. We do grow immensely from these relationships and we can learn and grow so much from the internet in general. But like you said, one thing leads to another and before you know it....the whole day was on the computer. Some days we have to literally force ourselves to not even turn it on. But then we fall behind on internet life and feel like we'll never catch up. It's maddening! All I can say is - Lord, teach us balance and give us discernment to recognize when we're about to tip the scales!

Anonymous said...

Great post Lisa!

I'm sick, but I just wanted to check in and say hi!

Truly Blessed said...

Omgoodness... girl - you hit it right on the nose with this post.... I think we all struggle with it. My blog list keeps getting bigger and bigger, too..... lol! AND my dsl has been acting so RETARDED lately... it boots me off and won't let me back on for awhile. And the first thing I think is "Okay, okay God.... I'm going, I'm going!" lol! (Because MY prayer has been "Help me PRIORITIZE". ;)
~Marsha

Pam Healy said...

I was just reading that Lynne was praying for patience--I never pray for patience--LOL--God always tests that one!!
Anyway, sounds like He's heard this prayer and has given you "opportunities" to learn. Love Shannons prayer: All I can say is - Lord, teach us balance and give us discernment to recognize when we're about to tip the scales!

Anonymous said...

Oh man can I ever relate to this... I've been thinking about the amount of time I'm on here to. What did I do with all my time before? That sort of thing. Amazing hey? Funny how you get what you pray for, isn't it?

Denys said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Denys said...

Preach Sister!! lol. i totally identify with the pc time. sometimes i just sit infront of it know i have other things to do and i make my do something even if nothing comes to mind. sad! i also need to spend more time with my husband, the house, and with GOD. Thanks for sharing. God dont play. LOL